Thursday, June 28, 2012

A day of Firsts: School and Buses

It's time for school! It's time for school! Today was a first day at la universidad modelo! Caitlin and I have the cutest, nicest mom in the whole world! She woke up with us and went on the bus with us all the way to school so that we wouldn't get lost... so precious! We also met up with a bunch of our friends in our group and we all took the bus together. Luckily school didn't start until 10:00 am today but usually it starts at 7:00... if you know me you know that this might be a problem. =S

We were a big group of girls and so cars loved to honk as us as they drove by

Waiting for the bus.. yupp that's my adorable roommate Caitlin! 

Our first bus ride in Merida 

Lyndy y yo en el Camion (bus)

The buses are really confusing and I still don't really understand them but they got us to school safely. Hopefully I figure them out soon! The school is really pretty! It's really small but it's perfect for us!

Bienvenidos a la universidad modelo!

Those are our classrooms in the background 

Es una escuela muy bonita 

Don't we look ready for school with our mochillas? 

*Note: Since we got to a private school we have to wear skirts every day and the boys have to wear long pants... the girls definitely got the better end of that compromise. 

So far the classes are great! I am taking a conversation class and a Spanish grammar class. Both of my teachers are really nice and you can tell that they have a lot of experience teaching gringos because they know how to speak to us and how to help us understand. I actually understood about 90 percent of what they were saying which was really nice! But they we had a Mayan and Yucatecan culture class. It was probably the worst two hours of my life. Our teacher (bless his heart) has a super low voice, doesn't use any hand motions, talks faster than anyone I know, and has a super thick accent. Let's just say that I understood about three sentences of the whole lecture. Luckily though, I only have to go to that class two more times.

I had no idea what that guy was saying 

Cody was obviously really interested in the class too 

Well, at least some people were listening =) 

I think it'll be a great semester. I'm excited to learn more Spanish and practice speaking it with my teachers and fellow classmates. 

Waiting for the bus to take us home! 

These are my travelling buddies... we all live close to each other so we take the bus together every day 

We were the only ones on the bus today 

Bradley and Laurita (there are two Lauras so we call her Laurita)

No comments:

Post a Comment