Thursday, June 28, 2012

I Couldn't have Asked for Anything Better...

This is my roommate Caitlin and I in front of our house here in Merida!


I could't have asked for a better roommate or a better host family! I'm loving them more and more each day! Caitlin and I are perfect together because we're both really easy going and always up for anything fun. I feel like we've known each other forever! We have known each other since freshman year and we were friends before this but we didn't know each other too well. I already feel like we're sisters though! We always read each other's minds and want to do the same things. For example, the first night   that we were here we just laid in our beds and watched the bachelorette together and talked about boys and other girl things until like two in the morning. Then the next day we had a siesta together and went out together downtown at night. Today we went to the beach and after just walked around the town together and had so much fun talking to locals and looking around at everything (more on that later)! We're good at speaking Spanish to each other but sometimes we just get way too excited and we have to speak in English. I don't know how it worked out so well so fast but somehow it did and I'm so so so so so happy that she's my roommate!

Also, I know that she would agree with my when I say that we have the best host family in the world. Our mama is probably the cutest person in all of Mexico! She has so much energy and just loves us so much. She always tells such funny stories and loves to talk and talk and talk. She's really good at helping us understand and she loves teaching us new words. She just wants us to love Merida as much as she does! Also, our papa is adorable. He's really quiet but he always has a huge smile on his face and such a sincere look in his eyes so you know that he's listening to what you say. Sometimes he'll try and tell us a story but our mama will get so excited and just bust out in super fast Spanish and finish telling the story for him haha. But whenever she isn't here he always tells us little stories and it's way cute. But the cutest thing about our papa is that he is a retired doctor and he only works like one day a week so on all the other days he goes to the poor parts of Merida and surrounding cities and gives free medical service to whoever needs it! He is just so precious. I will make pictures with them soon =) I also love our papa so much because he drives us to school every morning so we don't have to wake up an hour earlier to take the bus.

We also have a maid named Mimi and she is so nice. She's only like 16 but she lives with the family and cooks and cleans all day. It's really weird actually but apparently it's normal for rich families in Mexico to have a maid. She does so much, I feel bad for her, but it's just a part of their culture.

I have such a fun family! There are also two other girls from BYU, Rachel and Laura, that live with us and they are super nice. Also, a couple days ago two other girls moved in named Esme and Nancy and they go to UCLA, but they're here for a study abroad program too. They are both fluent in Spanish and so they help us a lot. They are super nice and Caitlin and I love hanging out with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment