Thursday, June 28, 2012

Estoy en Merida!

Today was a super long day! It was a little crazy, but I'm sitting in my bed right now in my host family's house, so I guess I made it here somehow. Luckily I had a direct flight from Calgary to Cancun which was nice. It was an eventful trip though... I sat by a gay couple from England and they were hilarious. Basically I just eavesdropped on their conversation the whole time haha. They spent over $50 on alcohol and one of them spilt his coke on his lap three times in a row! Que triste.

When I got to Cancun though things started to get a little overwhelming. Everyone else in my group was flying from the states but since I was flying from Canada I was in a different terminal. I got super lost and was a little freaked out, so this guy was helping me and told me that there was a shuttle to the other terminal but that it costed $150 pesos (a little less than $15) and I was a little sceptical but at this point I had no idea what else I could do so I got in the shuttle (aka his friend's car) and went to the other terminal. It was like two minutes away and I found out after that there was a free shuttle so I felt pretty dumb. At least he didn't kidnap me though or anything haha... opps! Probably not the best idea (sorry mom, I promise that I am smarter than that).

Eventually I found my friends though, luckily Caitlin (my roommate) waited for me and so we got to take the bus from Cancun to Merida together. Here we are on the bus! (As you can see from my shiny face, it is quite humid here)

It was a really nice bus actually. I slept the whole ride! 


And here is Alana y Tom

Also, it was raining like crazy in Cancun! You could barely hear anything because the rain was so loud. It poured the whole bus ride and all the streets were flooded after like 15 minutes. We got soaked... I think I would have been more dry if I had jumped in a pool!



It definitely was a long day of travelling but we arrived in Merida and our mom and her daughter were there waiting for us with a sign that had our names on it and it was really cute. Then she brought us to her house and showed us our room and told us all the rules and then we unpacked quickly, had some quesadillas and then went straight to bed! We have class tomorrow so I need to get to bed! But I'm here, and I'm safe and happy =)

Hasta Manana!



No comments:

Post a Comment