Friday, August 10, 2012

80th Anniversary of Bicis!

Tonight was the Paseo en Bicis again! Today was the celebration of the 80th anniversary of the bicis and so they had a huge party! Over 450 people showed up tonight and we broke a record for the most people that they have ever had. It was probably because they heard that Caitlin and I were going to be there ;) haha... I was scared to go though because last time was so much fun and I didn't think it was possible to have as much fun as we did last time, but today might have even been more fun than the last time. Caitlin and I were the only gringos that went and so we just hung out with Mexicans the whole time and met so many sweet people! 

 We love midnight bike rides! They do a different route every week and so we got to see a whole new part of Merida tonight!

 Caitlin and I met Jen and Santiago at the bike ride. Jen is from Edmonton and is just backpacking across Mexico... she was so sweet. She didn't speak Spanish though so she was so glad to see us and we translated for her. Santi is from Merida and he is not only a babe, but also so cool. He lived in England and Scotland for a year and so he speaks English but with a british/scottish/mexican accent and it is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard. He is our best friend.

 Getting ready to ride! Santi and I with his friends, Jorge and Carlos, and Caitlin.

 Caitlin and Jen.

 Carlos came late and by the time he got there, there weren't any normal bikes and so he had to rent one of the bikes for 10-yr olds. So funny! Not too comfortable for four and a half hours lol.

 Santi and I rode together the whole night. He wanted to practice English and I wanted to practice Spanish and so I spoke Spanish to him and he spoke English to me. It was fun =)

MIDNIGHT BIKE RIDES!!!

 I stole this from one of the sweet people who were at the bike ride... such a cool picture eh? The guy that was in charge rode around with a palm tree on the back of his bike! haha

 Half-way point! Break time!

 The group for the night!

 Everyone at the bicycle ride tonight! 450 and counting =) We even made it in the newspaper the next day since it was such a huge group!

 We are glowing with our white skin! haha

 Sooo many people! 

 We love all our Mexican friends! 

 The guy who's in charge! He's so cool! 

 They told us today that there were more bicycles in centro today than there were cars. Yaya for setting records! The group started with just six people and now, just 80 weeks later they're almost to 500!

 Break time... stollen photo. 

 We have the coolest Mexican friends ever! Carlos and Jorge are such hipsters, and Santi is so hot!

 Saul came to the bike ride again! He rode with Caitlin and I for a bit!

Back on the road!

 Yay for bike rides! 

 Photocred to Santi.

 Every week they finish off the route by riding through centro! 

There were so many people! We were in a line about three blocks long.

 I got this picture from the website too... all of us riding in front of the plaza grande by the cathedral!

 When the bike ride was over we came back and had a sweet party. There was music, dancing, food, drinks, and just a ton of cool people. Santi is apparently a secret salsa dancing pro and so he taught me a bunch of new moves and danced the night away =)

I LOVE salsa dancing with hot mexicans! 

Tonight was a blast! The bike ride was so cool, as always and when we got back we hung out with our new friends for so long. They taught us a ton of new Spanish slang and told us so many funny stories. They were probably the coolest people I've ever met. After the night was over Jorge and Carlos even gave Caitlin and I a ride home! Nights like these make me never want to leave Mexico. I just want to hang out with my friends here all the time and do fun things like this every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment