Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Best Day of my LIFE

Today was without a doubt the most fun day of my entire life! I think I had a permanent smile on my face the whole day! Wow, all I can say is that this was definitely the best way to spend my last day in Mexico! I have the best friends in the whole world, I can not believe that I have to say bye to them =( 

This morning Mexico was playing Brazil in the gold medal olympic game! Mexico wasn't even favoured to go to the end and so everyone was super excited! We went to Elier's house to watch it with all of our Mexican friends and I even bought a jersey for the occasion! 

Let's go MEXICO! 

All the lovely ladies... seriously love these girls! 

And the boys haha... they love each other. 

Mexico was up 2-0! We were screaming our lungs out! It was such a crazy game! 

Soccer fiesta! 

Mexico WON! 

Ayyy ayyy ay ay! Canta llores! 

Time to P-A-R-T-Y! 

We're number one! 

So then we hopped in their truck and drove around the city waving our giant flag! 

Mexico! Mexico! Mexico! 

So much Mexican pride that day! 

Hahaha Gabby's face is the BEST.

Everyone was ready to celebrate! 

Some of my favourite people in the whole world right here... Mauricio and Paola! 

They came to party! 

Then we parked and ran through the streets and cheered! 

We ran all the way to la estatua de la bandera (Flag statue) and we were some of the first ones there so we got the party started! 

This guy had the sweetest giant gold medal ever! 

Couldn't have been there with better people! 

Then the news started showing up and took a million pictures of us! 

We were the only white ones there! 

Luckily our friends taught us the soccer songs and chants and so we led the crowd in singing... they LOVED us! 

...And then the paparazzi shots started. People were grabbing us from all angles trying to get a picture with us!  

Hahaha! This guy. 

Okay this guy was hilarious and super creepy! He asked his son that was like four years old to take his picture with us! 

Feeling so famous! (and these were only a few of the pics we caught on my camera... there were at least thirty more!)

We were laughing sooo hard! 

Don't worry, Elier had our back (literally) haha... he was pretty protective to make sure that nothing bad happened to us. 

And then the best part of the day happened... Caitlin and I were so busy taking pictures that we didn't even realize what was happening. We turned around and saw a dance circle and heard everyone chanting "Que baile la guerita!" (dance white girl)! Then we realized that everyone was looking at us and jumping and cheering us on! So what did I do? ... I jumped right in the middle of the dance circle!! 

This is probably my favourite picture of my whole life! So happy and surrounded by thousands of people cheering us on! Everyone had their cameras out and there were flashes everywhere. The news cameras ran over and oh man... I was having the time of my life! 

We love to entertain the people hahahah

Alright people.. show's over! After about three minutes of straight dancing we were sweating like crazy so we closed up the circle. It's tough being so famous. Hahahahaha!

Posing for more pictures! The whole time I was thinking "oh man, what if profe drove by and saw this?" hahaha

Best friends! 

MEXICAN PRIDE!

Me and my people haha... you can barely see me! I'm behind the guy in the red.

Coolest place I've ever been! 

Then people started crowd surfing and throwing each other up in the air. They wanted me to go up there so bad but Elier wouldn't let me because he said that there were too many dunk people. Probably a good thing that he was with me because I was having so much fun, I probably would have jumped on up. 

Then more people started pouring out from the bars and all of them wanted to grab us and get pictures and it was just getting so crazy because we were attracting so much attention and so we decided to leave before it got out of hand. 

When we got there, there were only about 50 people there. When we left, there were over 5000! 

Merida's newest celebrities!

We were driving and then Mauricio noticed a flag on the floor! So he pulled over the car in the middle of the street and jumped out to save it! 

He got it! 

Oh Mexico =) He's the hero!

Then we went to Burger King because if Mexico won the gold they were giving away free burgers!

Too bad the commercial lied! You had to buy a burger to get a free one! Booo to false advertising!

But it was still fun and we were still sooo happy that we didn't even care! We still got a picture for good times. Haha la casa del whopper! Gets me every time. 

VIVA MEXICO! 

Haha Roberto... he's like the coolest Mexican that the world has ever seen. 

Cutest couple alive. 

Then we went back to Elier's house and his mom made all of us lunch! So nice of her! We were starving after all of our dancing haha

Issac! He's Elier's 16 yr old brother and one of the coolest kids I know.

Chifladas! 

We put on some music and so the boys were showing off their dance moves. 

We couldn't let them show us up though! 

Backyard pool party! The music was blasting and we were dancing like crazy! 

Having WAY too much fun !

Nina Bonita dance! They boys hated it haha but we were loving it! 

Then we jumped back in the truck and headed to the beach! The fun never ends! 

Soooo hot! 

Getting close in the back ;) hahaha 

Mauricio's turn to serenade us! 

We played the djembe all the way to Progreso! 

And then it was Roberto's turn to serenade us! 

Oops out of gas! We were just having too much fun! 

A little bit of gas music hahah (gas music?)

Besties. Also please note that I am darker than the Mexican lol

Just having fun ALL DAY! 

So sitting in the back of the truck was fun until we started going 120 km/hr on the highway... it was a little windy! 

Look who we found in Progreso! CONY! 

If this isn't paradise then I don't know what is. 

Amigas! 

Paparazzi shot haha 

Then we went to their private beach and chilled on the beach! We swam a lot and I had a long talk with Elier in the waves. He gave me the best compliment and told me that I have the perfect Yucatecan accent! So it's official, I'm a yuca! 

Love these two and love being on the beach! 

Mauricio hates the sun haha... he obviously lives in the wrong place. 

Then we went to the main part of Progreso and walked down the Malecon to watch the sunset with Elier and Isaac. 

It was such a pretty sunset! Merida is beautiful in every way! 


Picturesque.

GM sandwich 

Best place to watch the sunset in all of Progreso. 

Adios sol. 


Good thing there were so many people to take pictures of us! 

God has created such a beautiful world! 

Then we decided to jump in the water! A ton of people were fishing and so were were a little scared to jump in the water, but YOLO!

The tide was kind of strong... probs not the best idea. But too fun to care. 

But then we kept doing it over and over again!

But then it started POURING! So we ran for cover and found this fish on the bridge.

Creepy, nasty, little fish.

So then Isaac and Caitlin tried to save the fish and they threw it over the edge.... and then a fisherman ran over and got mad because we threw his fish away. So then we ran away. Oops! 

So we hung out at the beach for a while until it stopped pouring. Then we hopped back in the truck and headed back to Merida. Time to eat! We went to this tiny restaurant and had such yummy food! All the pastor we could eat! Gringas al pastor, tacos al pastor, and nachos al pastor! 

Great end to a great day! 

Then at last it was time to go back home. We were so sad to say bye! Especially to this one! Mauricio is my new Mexican boyfriend and I love him to pieces! 

She secretly loves him I think. 

I am so blessed to have the best friends in the whole world! They are the nicest, sweetest, funniest people I have ever met. I can't believe how accepting they were of us. I can't help but imagine if I were in their situation and a bunch of foreigners came to my ward how I would treat them. I doubt that I would give up my whole weekend to spend time with them, but they did! We had so much fun together, didn't speak any English, and made memories that I will NEVER forget! 

I was so blessed to have met them. Just thinking about the fact that I have to say goodbye to them tomorrow makes me cry. This group of friends is one of the best groups of friends I have ever had. I love each of them so much and I feel like I've known them my whole life. I need to come back as soon as possible to see them! 

I'm so glad that Caitlin is my roommate! So many people in our group kind of stuck to themselves and didn't go out of their way to meet the locals. Caitlin and I though took EVERY opportunity we had to be their friends and love them, and in return they just loved us back even more. I think that hanging out with them was the best part of my experience here. The locals know all of the cool places to go and all of the fun things to do. We were really able to experience Merida in the best way we could! And on top of that, our Spanish improved so much! At the end of today I was just talking without even having to think about it. We were making jokes and I felt like my normal self. It was such a great feeling!

I am one lucky girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment