Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Dzibichaltun

Today was our first group excursion and we went to Dzibichaltun... try and say that three times fast ;) It's pronounced: Zee-Be-Chal-Toon! It took me forever to figure out how to say it, but I think I finally got it!

 Tourist pic!

We were excited to be there 

 Bienvenidos

The shape of the ruins burned into the grass! 

This way to ruinas!

Caitlin and I always do the randomest things... we saw this and thought it would be funny to climb through all the spider webs behind the glass and pretend like we were in a picture frame. Please note Caitlin's nose! 



Hahahaha... #easilyentertained

Sooo Dzibichaltun is a tourist attraction in Merida and it's pretty famous because there are a lot of Mayan ruins there. There is a huge temple there that's called las "Siete Muñecas" (the seven dolls) and on the spring equinox when the sun rises, it shines directly through the window of the temple.

Las Siete Muñecas

There were a ton of other cool ruins there too! I didn't know the names of all of them but there were some pyramids, lots of cool stairs, some arches, and other random stone ruins. 

Excited to see the ruins! I love walking through the jungle here because everything is so green!

  

Brooke and I with a cool rock

I decided to climb the rock because it had kind of natural little footholds on it! It was a little scary though. And when I was coming down Ryan said that he would help me but apparently we both a had a different idea of what "help" meant. Let's just say I jumped off the rock and thought he'd catch me/help me down but instead we both fell on our butts and I squished him... sorry Ryan!

I made it to the top though!

I wish I could just chill in that little window all the time! 



 It's so pretty here!


Group photos!


Becca, Amber. Jackie, y yo

Brooke is a beauty!

So luscious and green!  

Laura squared in a square! (We're both named Laura)



Pondering life on the edge of the earth 

This hole was pretty entertaining



Ryan and I! Totes presh. 

There are so many pretty flowers here!  

There are so many of these here!

Eat it Caitlin! 

 Cody was ready to play Fear Factor!

There are a lot of these here! My mom would not like it at all!

Backside of the temple 

Ryan loves to take pictures... always using his camera! 


Cocobean

The ruins!

#creeperpic

Haha I don't remember taking this...

So so so pretty!

Peek-a-boo

Okay none of us remember sitting in this position at all but it's probably the funniest picture of the day. Like what am I doing with my hands on Ryan's shoulder? And why is he sitting like he's gay? And how did Caitlin know that this was going to be the funniest picture ever? Haha I can't get over this picture.

We look like we're on survivor and we're just walking to tribal council or something haha




 This picture is one of my favourites! I love the trees here and all the ruins. I could totally picture a prophet teaching in this little garden or something back in the Book of Mormon times!

Jumping pic! 

Hey that was fun... let's do it again! 

Natalie and I... we hung out a lot today and took pictures together. I love her. 

Piggyback? Okay! Jump on me! On you? Yes! Okay.. why not? haha

I read in an article in the New era that Mesoamerica (central Mexico to Honduras) is the supposed location where Lehi and his family lived. In the Book of Mormon in 2 Nephi 5:16 Nephi and his family built a temple. It is likely that these ruins were once inhabited by a group of people in the Book of Mormon. They told us that this city had about 20, 000 people living in it and that it was run but the administrative and religious elit. I thought it was really interesting to be in a place that was probably similar to structures that were around during Book of Mormon times! 





 Ryan and I found this little cave with Mayan symbols carved in it! So we decided to play a game and try and decipher the meaning of the symbols. My favourite was "this one means either that the world is going to blow up tomorrow or that I want tacos for dinner." haha





 Mayan Chic.


 We found this pool that was shaped like Utah! Obviously the Mayans knew that the church would be restored there ;) haha



After we explored all the ruins we got to swim in a cenote (pronounced sen-oh-tay). There are lots of cenotes in Yucatan and they these huge natural pools of water outside. They're similar to the hot springs in Canada, but instead they are "cold springs" and they serve the exact opposite purpose, which is to cool you down instead of warm you up! This cenote is called Cenote Xlakah (i have no idea how to pronounce that).

It doesn't get more beautiful than this!

Lily pads with flowers! They were just missing the frogs!


Alannah and I pondering life (or something like that). Actually, we were probably wondering when we were allowed to jump in the cenote! It was so hot out!
 We were so excited to go in the cenote! 

 Brooke and I were the first ones to jump in the water! 

Everyone else decided to join us quickly after because it looked so fun! 

 Jumping into the cenote together!


 We had a flip competition!


 I didn't want to leave! It was so fun!

 Jackie and the lily pad flowers. I love this picture!

We found another one of these guys by the cenote

Swimming in the cenote was definitely my favourite part of the day! The water was crystal clear and there were a ton of fish in it! Everyone in our group was jumping into the water together and we all tried dives and flips. Some people even tried doing back flips! It was a ton of fun! We swam until we were wrinkly =) 

After Dzibichaltun we went to Progesso (the beach) for the afternoon. We went to a beach house and had tacos al pastor (aka the best food ever!) for lunch. This guy just cooked us tacos all afternoon and they were delicious. Tacobell needs to step it up!

Tacos al Pastor! I could eat these for the rest of my life and always be happy.

Group table

Beach house

After, we all went to the beach and played ultimate frisbee in the warm ocean. Jackie, Taylor, and I also swam out to a sandbar that's really far out. It's six miles long though once you reach it so we hung out there for a while because it was really shallow. Then we went to the beach and I took a little siesta. Nothing better than napping on the beach! Then Ethan and I got to bronzear (tan) together for a bit while everyone else played soccer (bronzear is our new favourite word btw). He couldn't play because his foot was broken, so I said I'd sit with him so he wasn't alone even though my real excuse was that I am probably the worst soccer player in the history of the world! It was fun though, we definitely bonded haha. Those who bronzear together as destined to have a bonding experience lol. 

Ethan's gross blister on his foot!

Now I'm home... that was such a big day! I'm burned all over because you're not allowed to wear sunscreen in the cenote. Oh well, it was definitely worth it! I love going on excursions as a group. I got to know so many people in my group a lot better. I can't get over how fun everyone is =) I love it here in Merida!

1 comment: