Sunday, July 15, 2012

Only in Mexico...

Today was the most fun today ever! I'm just sitting here laughing about how fun it is to live in Mexico.... just as a little teaser of what's coming up: 19 people in one car, a drug bust, a flood, sketchy restaurants, and salsa dancing. So fun! 

Every day we have to walk to the bus stop and we walk through a little sketchy community. There has never been a problem before but today we saw this house surrounded by police men all holding guns and pointing them at people... a little sketchy. So we decided to take a different route and just avoid the whole thing. =S


A police man guarding the house and then two police pointing guns at a guy in the car... 

We made it to school safely!

Jackie and I were rocking the maxi skirts today!

After school we came home and ate a delicious dinner with our family! Then Caitlin and I decided to go to Wal Mart for our first time... It was a weird culture shock to be in a real store again! I felt like I was back in America... it just didn't belong in America haha. And I went all the way there to buy envelopes and lotion but then I saw toothpaste, chocolate bars, and sun tan lotion, and I forgot to buy envelopes and lotion! Good job Laura... #easilydistracted

 We asked a lady to take a picture of us and she thought it was so funny to run away with my camera and pretend like she was going to steal it! It was pretty hilarious actually. 

Then we left Wal Mart and headed downtown and it started to rain! When the rain strikes here it's crazy how fast it comes down! I love tropical rainstorms though! It's really warm rain too!

We got soaking wet when the cars drove by us and made huge tidal waves!

 Flooded streets!


In the middle of the road it was about one foot deep!

 Cutie pie!

Then that night we went to institute to go salsa dancing! The teacher must have thought that we had been practicing all week or something because this week was crazy! I felt like it was salsa bootcamp! So many crazy moves and spins and stuff... Luckily my partner was a pro, he was a salsa master! It was a ton of fun dancing with the Mexicans. I have to go to the Mexican dance clubs now and practice my salsa dancing! 

 Caitlin and I with our partners (Mosies and Kemish)


 Alan and Alannah

 Taylor, the salsa-dancing pro!

 Tyler and Conny! Conny is our new best friend and she's a salsa-dancing queen!
 Thomas... opps, I mean Tom. 

 Morgan and Aaron... Two gringos. Never a good idea. Obviously they had the disadvantage haha.

After salsa dancing they asked us if we wanted to go and see a play with them. They said they would drive us too so of course we agreed! Little did we know that we were all going in one car. We had 19 people in the car! Six Mexicans and thirteen Guerros (white kids) haha. It was probably the funniest thing of my life. We were laughing so hard the whole time! And as we drove by the police didn't even look twice... only in Mexico! 

 All starting to pile in!

 The bed of the truck was about the half the size of a normal truck. Made it quite interesting.... 

 Ready for an adventure??


 People everywhere! 

 Kemish on my lap, I'm on Mosies' lap, he's on Alan's lap, and Alan's on Tom's lap!

 Fast corners made things difficult...

 Wow I just noticed now that Bradley has the longest tongue in the history of the world! haha 

 Totes presh.

 Trying not to fall of the edges! 

 I think that the most fun part was taking all the crazy pictures haha

 Yupp... all of us fit in one truck! Minus the two people taking pictures... 

 Our group at  the play! I don't think anyone really wanted us there. Everyone else there was all dressed up and there were a ton of really classy people just waiting to appreciate some art. And then in walks this huge group of Mormon kids who take all the seats! haha. They made us squish in the back corner.

 The play was called "How to trap a boyfriend" lol

 I didn't really understand what was going on haha... 

 I thought it was a love story but then all of a sudden a guy with a gun popped out.... wait, what?

 The whole cast...

 Alan seriously LOVED the play! He was laughing his head off the whole time and then he gave them a standing ovation at the end! haha at least someone knew what was going on!

 The cast loved us though! We had to get a picture with them =)

 And of course Alan needed a picture by himself with them! lol

After the play the Mexicans asked us if we wanted to go out for dinner with them. They said they they knew the best place ever to get panuchos! We always love panuchos so we went with them (of course all in one car again). Little did we know that they were taking us to some little pueblo about an hour and a half away from Merida! We were so lost and had no idea where we were! It started raining again too and there were barely any lights. It was crazy! But such an adventure! I couldn't stop laughing the whole time. Good thing we were with members or I would have been so sketched out! 

 We were laughing so hard at the name of the restaurant "los faroles" because it's slang for someone who always has to one-up other people. They Mexicans taught us that word and so we were using it all night and then we couldn't stop laughing when we got to the restaurant and saw what it was called!

It was SUPER sketchy! There were dead chickens hanging by rope in the kitchen and the drinks came out of this huge plastic basin. I was a little nervous for my health at this point. I said a lot of prayers. It was also hilarious because none of them speak a word of English... We had no idea what to order because there were no menus so we just told them to order for us and we hoped for the best!


 This one definitely passed the sanitary check... right? haha

 They loved taking pictures... we seriously took a million tonight!

Conny and all her men as usual...




 Here are the panuchos! They were so good so I just decided to enjoy them and then worry later... luckily I am feeling great today! No problems at all =) Lucky me!

 Lyndy LOVES panuchos! hahaha

After we ate we decided to park at some random street and have a dance party outside! You know you're mormon when.... haha. It was so much fun! Best part though was listening to them sing American songs. They had the right tune but only said about 2 percent of the words correctly. They just made up how they thought they sounded haha! I was laughing my head off the whole time. I probably sound just like them when I sing Spanish songs!


 Nina Bonita!



After our dance party they drove us all home! We didn't get home until about 1:30 am but they were super nice to us, I love them! Today was a hilarious/fun/crazy/adventurous day! It was so much fun talking Spanish all day with people our age in a real social setting. I learned a ton of new words and slang that I'm excited to practice! I can't wait to hang out with them all again... such a fun night!

No comments:

Post a Comment