Thursday, July 05, 2012

Family Bonds

Okay there's no such thing as a bad day in Merida... there's not even any such thing as a normal day in Merida. Every day is so much fun and I can't even get over how happy I am ALL THE TIME! Everyday is different than the last and everyday I am learning so much. I'm never leaving! It's way too much fun here!

Today after school I came home and spent the whole day hanging out with my family and it was one of my favourite days so far. Today for lunch all of mama's kids came over. They're all married so they brought their spouses too and we had this really yummy mexican stir fry thing. That's definitely not the name of it but it was steak with rice, beans, avocados, cilantro, onions, and lime! We ate it with tortillas (we actually eat everything with tortillas) and it was delicious. It was really great to talk to with mama's hijos (children) and get to know them better. One of them, named Jorge, is an accountant and so we talked about accounting stuff for a little bit. It was great to practice my Spanish and learn some new vocab! I'm actually getting a lot better at remembering new vocab and using it. I have a little book that I use to write down all the new words that I learn, and it has helped a lot. I'm pretty sure that my Spanish vocab has doubled already!

Lunch was just so great; I really felt like a part of their family. They were all so nice to us and I liked them all a lot. I thought it would be intimidating to try and carry on a conversation in Spanish while sitting at a table with like 20 Mexicans but it was actually pretty easy. There's no way I could have done that the first week though.

Also, durring lunch Esme (one of my roommates who goes to UCLA) told me that she can't believe how much my Spanish has improved in just as week! That was like the best compliment ever! I was so happy =) I can't believe how much I've improved in just one week too! I remember the first day that I got here... I know that my mama was talking to me but I honestly can't tell you that I understood more than 25 percent of what she said. A lot of times I just smiled and said "si... si" haha. Now it's very rare that I have to ask her to repeat something. I think that because I'm more used to her slang and her voice it's super easy for me to understand her now! I love it!

Another great part of today was during the afternoon when our maid, named Mimi, was cleaning our room. We asked her if she had Facebook, and she did so we added her and she was so happy! Then she laid on our beds with us and we just talked for like half and hour with about girl stuff. She's like 17 or 18 so I think she really liked hanging out with us. She lives like seven hours from here so she usually just hangs out with our mama and papa. She told us about her boyfriend and her friends and stuff like that. She's a cutie but probably the hardest person in the world to understand. She uses more slang words than normal words and she speaks super fast and quiet. She also slurrs all her words together so I have to listen really closely to understand her. But it was fun bonding with her. I'm also friends with my mama on Facebook (or "face" as they say it here) now too... so that's fun!

After Mimi left to get dinner ready, Caitlin and I just hung out and talked for a while in our room together. She had a siesta but then I went to the bathroom and found a lizard in the shower so I made her get out of bed and come save me! Haha poor girl... we decided to keep it as a pet though and we named it Jorge after our papa. We trapped him with our lampshade and I think he's pretty cool but a little bit scary haha. In Spanish a lizard is called a lagartijita (log-are-ta-heat-uh)... try saying that three times fast! haha

Our little mascota (pet).... we love Jorge!


 Look how small and cute he is! Like his cage made from our lamp shade? lol... he lives under our sink right now.

Luckily Jorge is tiny because there are a ton of these big nasty guys all over the place. They act kid of like squirrels. They're always scurrying away when you go near them, and they love climbing trees and jumping around. I took this at my bus stop while I was waiting for the camion.

 This guy was on the fence is front of our house! He's probably the biggest one I've seen so far.

 Yuckk.... my mom would die if she saw this.

When I was taking this it moved its head really fast and I got super freaked out and thought it was going to jump on me! I probably would have died.

I have to say though that the best part of my day was after dinner. I was explaining what a guinea pig is to my papa but he didn't understand so I grabbed my computer and showed him a picture. He thought Twitch was so cute (how could you not? haha) and he told me that he's never seen a guinea pig before. So then we got talking more and he wanted to see pictures of my family and friends. I pulled up some stuff of Facebook and told him all about my life. Then he showed me a bunch of pictures and told me about his friends and his life. It was so fun! We talked for like an hour, maybe more, and we just bonded so much. It was great because he's very soft spoken and rarely has a lot to say. He usually just likes to listen. He is always smiling but he's not a big talker. Tonight I got him talking a ton though and found out that he didn't know what a snowboard was, and that he's never even seen snow before so he thought my pictures from home were so cool. Then obviously I taught him all about Jimmer. I also showed him a picture of the whole basketball team and he couldn't get over how tall they all were! Pretty much everyone is the same height here. A little under six feet is the height of pretty much all Mexican guys. There's way less variation here than there is in the states.

Today was the best day ever! I'm so glad that I stayed home and spent time with everyone. I feel so close to my family here in Mexico, and I know them so much better now. Tonight when I was going to sleep I said "buenos noches papa" to my papa and he said "buenos noches hija" awwwee! He's never called me hija (daughter) before! Mama always does, but he's just the sweetest thing ever and it was so precious to hear him say it. I love that guy. My heart was melting!

Sorry this blog post has so much writing, but I kind of use this as a journal and I didn't want to forget this great day! Also, to top things off, I just checked my blog stats and today I had 71 views on my blog and I have a total of over 500 views! They might be all from my mom but oh well, at least someone is reading it!

Love you all and miss you (kind of)! Haha... I'll miss you when I have time to miss you! But for now I'm just having way to much fun to think about home! Besos!


No comments:

Post a Comment