Monday, July 02, 2012

Sunday Funday

Today was a day of celebrations! Today was Canada Day, Laurita's birthday, and the big election day in Mexico! Today was also our first time at our new barrio (ward). We're in the Itzimna ward and everyone in the ward seems really nice. Not going to lie though, I only understood like 50% of what was going on. I'm pretty sure this ward is made up of the fastest Spanish speakers in all of Mexico! It was pretty hard to comprehend everything at such a fast speed! But it was still so fun to see how the church is the same no matter where you go! Today was a fast and testimony meeting and I was really impressed that so many people in my group shared their testimonies. Maybe by next fast sunday I'll be ready for that! 


A group of us at church

When we got home we had dinner and our mama made a really yummy meal. We had fish and rice with cilantro... soo good! Also, we always drink this really yummy lemonade, it's unlike anything I've ever had, and so I asked my mom to teach me how to make it! Everyone loved it and it was actually really easy, I'll have to make it again when I get home!

The best lemonade in the whole world!

Also, since it was Laurita's birthday mama bought her a cheese cake! It was so good! We all sang feliz cumpleanos together and it was really fun.

Mama bringing the cake to Laurita! 

I love this picture! She's so cute! 

She's so adorable, I can't get over it!

After dinner Caitlin, Tom, Bradley, and I went to church because Ethan told us that there was a fireside for the institute. Apparently there was a communication error because we walked in and it was a seminary graduation! We were a little late too because we got lost so we had to sit in the front row! I'm pretty sure that they were all laughing at us and wondering what a big group of gringos were doing at a seminary graduation! So that was pretty funny... but after we got to go and see the temple and it was gorgeous. It's really new and the grounds are covered in beautiful tropical flowers.

 El templo de Merida, Yucatan


 So pretty here! It opens on July 8th because it's closed for cleaning right now... I can't wait!

 Self-timer pic... didn't turn out too well haha

The huge cathedral downtown! I think the temple is the most beautiful thing in Merida though.

We had to leave Centro before 8:30 though because that's when they announced the new president and our mom told us that it wouldn't be safe for us to be in Centro in case riots started. So we went home early tonight and decided to play UNO because we're in Mexico and it seemed fitting =) 


Also, I found a huge gecko on my bed when I was skyping my parents so I screamed and made Bradley and Tom come and save me! They couldn't find it though! I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight knowing that there is a gecko crawling around in my room! 

Caitlin bought a hammock so Bradley went in it and we wrapped him super tight and then spun him around and around. Now he has a good hammock story to tell (apparently he has only had bad experiences with hammocks before this) haha

No comments:

Post a Comment