Sunday, July 22, 2012

Ice Skating in MEXICO

Today was so awesome! We went ice skating in Mexico! Who would have ever thought that I would be able to go skating while I was here? Definitely not me! But I found out that there was an arena here yesterday so of course I went there today! I would have even gone by myself (I was so excited) but luckily we had a big group of us go and it was a blast.

Isn't the arena so cool? It's in the middle of this really nice mall. It reminded me of the one in West Ed, but a little bit nicer. I didn't feel like I was in Mexico here haha 

The area was really cool and the ice was actually pretty good. I was really worried about the skates, and they were pretty bad, but not the worst I've ever seen. I've never skated in skates that aren't my own so that was pretty weird. I wasn't able to do as many tricks as usual but of course I still tried a bunch of stuff. There were some coaches there so they talked to me for a while because it's rare to see someone here who actually knows how to skate! They told that there are only 24 ice rinks in all of Mexico and so they're lucky to have one here. Also, every one who competes automatically goes to nationals in Mexico City, even if they can barely skate haha. I got to meet the current national champion of Mexico too because he was practicing there today and he was pretty legit. He was pulling out some tripples and it was pretty impressive. I doubt that there are many great coaches here so he's pretty talented. So I talked to him and a few of the coaches who were working there for a while and it was really cool to learn what some of the moves are called in Spanish. I also did a few moves that they had never seen before though so they kept asking me to show them what I could do. It was pretty fun. I love skating in any form so today was just great! I also got offered a job here. Twice. It's official now... I'm moving to Mexico. I've got a job and they have a skating rink, so I'm set!


By the end of the night there was so much water on the ice because the heat was making it melt! The guys told me that they have to refreeze it every night. Definitely not a problem in Canada!

Our skating group! And two girls that were attached to me all night. They wanted to learn every single skating move in the world! haha


 I taught everyone how to warm up when they get on the ice ;) Tyler and Tom aren't acting here.. those are real expressions of pain haha

 Haha looks like we're on a double date here... 


 Caitlin wanted to do something "cool" for our roommate pic so we tried a trick. Tried is the key word here haha. 

 We decided that switching positions was probably best... ;)

 My favourite girlies! I taught them how to do bunny hops, spins, and spirals (called mariposas here)

Bradley and Kemish! We love Kemish!

I'm pretty sure that Laurita was more wet than dry by the end of the night... at least she had fun!

 She wasn't the only one who fell though... 

 Bradley said that he'd move with me to Mexico. We're going to represent Mexico at the next olympics! The competition shouldn't be too hard ;) 

 Almost gold-medal ready!

 The kid in the middle is names Jannes and he was IN LOVE with me! Haha! He works at the ice rink and he followed me around all night. Obviously we're friends on Twitter and Facbook now. #winning Too bad he's only 17. Of course everyone teased me about it all night but whatever, he was a cutie!

Our new Mexican skating friends! 

 Me, Tyler, and Caitlin! Besties =) 

 Kennie, this pic is for you! There was a skater there with this bag! Apparently this is an international thing? Haha... Made me miss you though! I wanted to go to skating practice with you =(

Today was so fun! I wish I had my skates with me though.. next time I'll make sure I bring them =) After skating we went to the mall and got home treats. I got a huge glass of horchata! I'm in love with the horchata here! Then we went to Kemish's house for a bit but we couldn't stay long cuz I have an exam tomorrow =S Hopefully it goes well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment